All those who are interested in knowing of ways on how to lose weight without exercise, might be surprised to know that it is not only possible, but you can lose weight fairly quickly if you get it right.
This does NOT involve yo-yo dieting or going on some fad celebrity diet endorsed whilst preparing for the Oscars.
Beware of Bad & Fad Diets
Many of these fad diets are effective as a one-off for short term weight loss, and a lot of them are not healthy for you. For example going on a severely reduced calorie diet will induce fat loss, but it will also cause muscle loss, poor concentration, low mood, malnutrition to name a few.
The infamous Atkins diet is another example of poorly informed dieting, based on narrow research. It forbids the dieter to eat carbs and highly encourages the consumption of all foods high in fat an protein. So the only foods you can really eat are meat and low carb vegetables – lettuce, peppers, etc and not potatoes.
The theory is essentially that digestion of fats and proteins use more energy than carbohydrates, and with a lack of carbohydrates the body enters a state called ketosis where fat is metabolized for energy. However the impact of a high fat diet on the liver is detrimental, the lack of carbs has negative impacts on mood and concentration.
What I want to recommend is not fad or bad but some rules/tips that you should stick with for as long as you wish to be at your healthiest. Weight loss is not the goal, it’s the byproduct of healthy eating (not boring eating).
3 Essential Rules for No Exercise Weight Loss
- Reduce your calorie intake. A pound of fat contains approximately 3500 calories – that’s equivalent to less than 14 standard size Mars bars (ref). Reducing your average daily intake by 500 calories is the equivalent a pound of fat in one week.
- Drink lots of water. Particularly 2 glasses 20 minutes before meals. This helps reduce your appetite so that you eat less. There is also evidence that the brain doesn’t distinguish well between hunger and thirst, so often when you are feeling hungry between meals you actually need to a drink of water. For more in-depth information read this.
- Eat breakfast. Even better is to make sure you eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up. You’ve been fasting all night and breakfast is a huge indicator for your body to kick start your metabolism into fat burning mode. It’ll make your day better by giving you plenty of physical and mental energy (which is important if you want to keep your motivation for losing weight).
5 Top Tips for Quick Weight Loss Without Exercise
- Eat 4 or 5 meals per day. Spreading your daily food intake across more meals means that the time between is shortened. By doing this you avoid becoming hungry. If you still find that you are still getting hungry between meals spread your food intake over more meals.
- Consume at least 20g of protein per meal. Protein is essential for curbing hunger, it’s harder to digest and is vital for maintenance. Further to more meals per day if you are still experiencing hunger in between increase the amount of protein per meal.
- Avoid sugar and gluten. These two are prime culprits in inducing hunger. When you consume sugar or high gluten foods it gets digested quickly raising your blood sugar level rapidly giving you an energy boost. But the insulin kicks in and you will slump rapidly, making you crave food outside of meal times.
- Vary daily calorie intake. Follow the rule of reducing your average daily calorie intake, but don’t stick to the same amount everyday. For example if you want to maintain 2000 calorie daily average you can eat 2000 one day, 1900 the next, 2100 the day after, etc. By varying the daily intake you avoid the body getting used to a routine diet and being able to optimize for it (optimizing means being efficient with energy use, i.e. fat).
- Take a day off every week! (This is a technique I learnt from Tim Ferriss’ The 4-Hour Body) Further to not getting into a daily routine diet I encourage you to take one day off per week. On this one day eat whatever you wish – cakes, beer, donuts, candy. Your body will react to this spike in nutrient intake via increased metabolism, and will continue in the days following – where you will be back on the stricter diet. Doing this weekly ensures that you body is kicked into increasing metabolism regularly.
Follow these three rules and my five top tips and I’m sure you will see huge results. You don’t need to worry about forgoing your favorite foods (my are cream donuts – I can’t resist them), you just need to reschedule them for your day off.
I hope you’ve enjoys this article, if you want more hot tips then sign up to my natural weight loss tips newsletter where I’ll send them directly to your inbox.
P.S. You’ll also receive a free copy of my ebook.